When I started reading Tarot professionally several years ago (for strangers, for money) I had already been studying and working with the cards for 20 years. But I was afraid to have my name associated with this largely misunderstood practice. So I chose Moth & Candle to put on my business card instead. Kept myself removed, never put my face on my website, and kept it quiet from most people who knew me. Then as my life changed and I needed to support myself on my own financially, Tarot was the one avenue of my work that was consistently there for me. As I started to be more public about my career path I got some push back, some raised eyebrows, even some “poor fallen woman” shakes of the head. Cartomancy is a living and evolving art form that has deep roots… as long as there have been playing cards there have been people assigning significance to them. I’m honored to carry on the tradition, to protect the lineage, to help push it forward and watch it transform to meet the needs of people now in this time. I still get mixed reactions when I tell people what I do for a living. But I no longer hesitate before I tell them. I am a card reader.
Every once in a while I “fall in love” (not romantically) with a client. Today it happened FIVE times. One man in his thirties, three young men in their twenties who came as a group (two fresh off of heartbreak who refreshingly carried no bitterness, just eagerness to avoid the same pitfalls again), and the woman who took this photo. She is facing major life changes beyond her control as well as significant heartbreaking grief. Their individual cards and readings fade from my memory. They normally do. I read cards in the moment and try not to make a habit of hanging onto personal info that comes up once the client has left my table. It’s their information, not mine. But the memory of having had deeply personal conversations with people that are so genuinely interested in bettering themselves and consciously finding their way through life lingers. When their eyes widen or their posture changes and the recognition arises… that’s what stays with me. So here is a photo of me, dehydrated and bedraggled, but absolutely smitten with the beautiful soul I just read for who asked if she could include me and Sadie in the photo of her cards.
October is the perfect time to get a Tarot reading! Join me in the cozy Moth & Candle studio for tea, cookies, and all of the Tarot insight we can pack into 45 minutes!
Saturday, October 26th: 6 sessions available, Reservations through Eventbrite
- Individual Tarot Session: $60, 45-minute private Tarot reading
- Tarot for Two Session: $90, 45-minute Tarot reading for you and a friend.
- *Moth & Candle subscribers… check this month’s newsletter for a special Discount Code!!!
- Class: Intro to Tarot by Laura Pensar
- Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- $40 (book included), Reservations through Fetch KCMO
What is Tarot? Where did it come from, how does it work, and what can it do for you? This class aims to supply you with enough foundational history and information for you to begin working with the cards in a way which is meaningful to you. Where you are. At this moment. Bring your own deck or Laura will have decks you can borrow during class. You will receive a copy of “The Armchair Tarot Reader” booklet to take home for further study.
New clients tend to panic when they see “The Devil” card show up in their reading. But really it’s just referring to patterns and habits we’ve developed that are no longer serving us: everything from that daily Frappuccino all the way to toxic relationships. This past weekend a very calm and poised woman sat at my table. When we got to “The Devil” in her reading she stopped me, looked me in the eye and said, “I know this well. I quit heroin after a decade of abuse 11 months ago.” I looked at her, “Whoa. That is not small. Good for you!!!” We high-fived, celebrated her strength and accomplishment, and talked about learning to have tea with our personal demons. I love my job. It’s odd, I agree. But not many other jobs have opportunities for such intense and pure moments of connection with strangers on a daily basis. I will always be grateful to this art form.
Learning Tarot can be fun and beautiful! Create your own Tarot journal to keep track of your studies and meditations. Instructor: Laura Pensar
Upcoming Workshops –
- Saturday April 6th, 1:30-3:30pm
- at Moth & Candle Studio, 3130 Bell Street, KCMO
- $30 advance, $35 at the door, limited to 12 spots
- Tickets available now through Eventbrite.
Join Laura in the Moth & Candle studio this April for a creative Tarot Journal workshop! Learn the basic concepts of Tarot while creating your own Tarot study journal (all materials included) in this unique hands-on workshop! Laura will give you tips and tricks for using your new journal to further your Tarot practice on your own at home. Reserve your tickets through Eventbrite.
Laura Pensar brings over 25 years of Tarot study and experience to her coaching sessions. LP is passionate about demystifying the cards and believes understanding the history and origins of cartomancy (the art of reading cards) will help you get the most from your own cartomancy practice.
Coaching available in any/all of the following:
- Tarot Basics: how to quickly get started working with the cards personally
- Tarot Spreads: understanding how spreads function, different spreads for different topics/needs, and how to develop your own spreads
- Cartomancy: lessons in various forms of card reading including Lenormand, playing cards, and oracle decks.
- Directed Studies in Tarot: in-depth study and practice in a focus area of your choice (specific cards, spread development, reading tips and advice, working with specific decks, etc)
One-on-one coaching sessions are $50 for half an hour. Contact Laura to begin your studies.
Tarot can be an inspirational and motivating tool. Some of the most beautiful and moving conversations I’ve ever had were over the cards. Tarot sessions have the potential to help clarify goals, identify blockages, tackle difficult decisions, process emotions and navigate complex interpersonal relationships. The simple act of contemplating cards you have chosen at random can be profoundly empowering. Have a cup of tea with me in my studio as we discuss your path and your cards.
Private sessions are 45 minutes. Individual $60 / Two-People $90. Full payment due at time of booking.
To schedule a consultation contact Laura.
Booking a reading with me implies consent and agreement with all terms noted on the Ethics and Conditions page. For tips on what to expect and how to get the most out of your Tarot session, read this post.
What is Tarot? Where did it come from, how does it work, and what can it do for you?
Instructors: Laura Pensar & Madison Joy
Laura of Moth & Candle and Madison of Truth Amplified have teamed up for an Intro to Tarot evening! With 50 years of combined Tarot study, Madison and Laura will cover the history of the Tarot, show you the basics of how to read cards, and give you exercises to start working with your own cards at home right away!
Upcoming Workshops –
Sunday, March 24th, 6:30-8:30pm
at Fetch, 1101 Mulberry Street, KCMO
$30 in advance, $35 at the door
Laura and Madison are bringing their collaborative Intro to Tarot class back to Fetch this March! We will explore the traditions of Tarot card reading, learn about the insights, perspective, and incisive wisdom to be gained through card reading, and give you simple ways to start working with Tarot on your own at home. Reserve your tickets at Fetch.
The Moth & Candle studio is a magical boutique in the heart of the Midwest.
3130 Bell Street, Kansas City, MO
- Tarot Consultations – The Moth & Candle studio is a warm and welcoming environment for private consultations. Contact Laura to book your in-person reading.
- Cartomancy Instruction – Interested in learning more about Tarot and other forms of cartomancy? Laura offers one-on-one personal instruction in the art of cartomancy. Whether you’re just curious about working with cards for personal development and enjoyment or whether you’re a professional looking to expand your cartomancy repertoire, you will be off and shuffling in no time with personalized coaching. Contact Laura to book your coaching session.
- Classes, Workshops, and Events – The Moth & Candle studio hosts many events and workshops which are open to the public. Check the Calendar for upcoming events.
- Tarot Supplies – Moth & Candle stocks a small inventory of Tarot decks and supplies. Not in Kansas City? Our online shop will be coming soon!
- The Deck Orphanage – “Take a deck, leave a deck.” Adopt a deck from The Moth & Candle Deck Orphanage by exchanging it for a deck of yours or leaving a $5 donation. All decks in “good and complete” condition are welcome: Tarot, oracle, playing cards, Lenormand, etc.
- The Tarot Petting Zoo – The Moth & Candle studio is home to a small library of Tarot and oracle decks available to be studied. Anytime during open shop hours you may “check out” a deck from the library to study at our game table for free.